Hanging Leg Raises
1. Hang from a bar
2. Raise your legs until they make a 90 degree angle with your upper body. Go slowly to prevent swinging back and forth. Make sure to crunch from your core rather than just lifting your legs with your hip flexors
3. Slowly lower your legs back down
Easier Progression: use the leg raise machine to support your back and prevent swinging
Equipment free alternative: Lying leg raises
1. Lie on the ground and hold onto something steady.
2. Do a small crunch to get rid of any arch in your lower back and to press your it into the ground. Throughout the movement, your lower back should not arch and should not leave the ground.
3. Raise your legs until they are at a 90 degree angle with the ground.
4. Slowly lower your legs back down, making sure your lower back does not leave the ground